Haven’t yet found that perfect vacation package for Memorial Day weekend to mark the start of the summer travel season? These last-minute trip ideas will ensure the long weekend is a memorial one at some of the hottest summer destinations in the U.S.
DRIVE TO HAWAII
Yes, anything is possible. At least it is when you want to avoid taking an expensive flight to Hawaii for an island getaway. Nestled along the San Diego Bay in forever-sunny San Diego, Shelter Island is the closest you’ll get to a tropical oasis without leaving the mainland. This island enclave includes four waterfront hotels, swaying palm trees, San Diego’s most popular outdoor venue, authentic summer Polynesian luau, grassy knolls, and supreme marina and downtown views. The island-wide Drive to Hawaii packages start at $119 at each hotel and include:
- The Bay Club Hotel & Marina – 2 night stay in a water-view room, 2 welcome tropical drinks in the lounge, welcome basket, full breakfast for 2, complimentary hotel parking
- Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites – 2 nights of deluxe accommodations, welcome cocktails/beverage, tropical flowers, deluxe Luau Platter served Bayside, poolside or in your room, and 2 hours of a complimentary bike rental.
- Best Western Island Palms Hotel & Marina – 2 nights of waterfront view accommodations, breakfast for 2 each day, welcome cocktails and appetizer, upgrade to a water front view suite with a $185 rate.
- Kona Kai Resort Spa and Marina – 2 nights of waterfront accommodations, welcome Mai Tai, Hawaiian fruit basket, a Happy Hour Pupu Plate, Guest Passport Savings Card, and a 20 percent local restaurant discounts.
GET THE JUMP ON YOUR SAN DIEGO SUMMER
Stay at the iconic property that crowns San Diego’s historical center, at the Old Town State Historic Park. The Spanish-style Best Western Plus Hacienda Old Town sits along Old Town’s tallest hillside with unmatched views of the city. Their Get The Jump On Your San Diego Summer package includes:
- Deluxe accommodations
- Breakfast for 2
- $25 Gas Card
- Late check-out (3pm)
- Bring your pet along for $20
GAYLORD NATIONAL WEB-ONLY SALE
For the granddaddy of all Memorial Day vacations, you must stay at the granddaddy of all resorts – the Gaylord Resorts and Convention Centers. Famous for their ‘everything in one place’ approach to hospitality, you’ll find attractions, restaurants, shopping, entertainment, all under the same roof as your hotel room. At each of their four upscale resorts near Nashville, Orlando, Dallas, and Washington DC, Gaylord Hotels is offering a not-to-be-missed Memorial Day Weekend deal. Save 20 percent on rates from $179, plus receive a free atrium upgrade. Offer only valid for travel May 27-30.
A PET-FRIENDLY MEMORIAL DAY
The Memorial Day weekend also marks the end of National Pet Friendly Month, so make sure your vacation includes your four-legged child, without the added cost. Kimpton Hotels have always felt warm and fuzzy for furry guests and have a special HosPETality Unleashed program, that includes treats, bowls, beds and toys. Other pet perks include:
- A ‘pet psychic’ at Hotel Monaco Portland who visits monthly during their hosted wine hour.